South Loop Lions,
Back to School Picnic held at the Primary Building: August 28, 2021 11:00am -1:00pm
First Day of School is August 30, 2021
Primary Building: 8:00am
Middle School 8:30am
Right At School after-care: Pre-school-3rd grade 3:00pm and 4th– 8th grade 3:30 pm
The latest ISBE Covid Resources
Each week, this section will contain a list of the resources and information posted to the COVID-19 webpage over the past week. Please continue to check the COVID-19 webpage for the newest updates and information.
Back to School 2021-22 ·
At this time, CPS and CTU are in discussion about re-opening details, however, the district is following Illinois State Board of Education guidance to reopen with 5 days of full-time in-person instruction.
Chicago Public Schools will host three town hall meetings for the public in mid-August. The town hall meetings will cover an introduction from Interim CEO Dr. Torres and Interim CEdO, Dr. Swinney, as well as updates from the Office of Student Health and Wellness, Facilities and Operations, and Academics teams.
Registration Link: bit.ly/CPS-B2S-townhall
Here is a summary of the latest updates from the district.
Health and Safety
· We will continue to use the daily health screener.
· CPS Health Screener https://cps.edu/healthscreener
· Health Screener Help Guide https://tinyurl.com/CPShealthscreenerhelp
· Touchless temperature checks will be conducted upon arrival and in the middle of the school day.
· Touchless hand sanitizer dispensers will be available in all classroom and common areas.
· Disinfecting wipes will be available in each school.
· Sneeze guards will be placed in high traffic areas: main offices, security desk, teacher desk. where appropriate.
· Face coverings will be required of everyone during school hours or on school grounds.
· Custodians will continue to use enhanced cleaning protocols for daily cleaning.
· Students will continue to maintain a safe social distance when possible.
· Water fountains will be unavailable for use. Instead students should bring plastic water bottles to fill at touchless water bottle stations.
· The district will continue contact tracing when a COVID case is reported.
· CPS will provide COVID testing based on the needs of the school community.
· There will be a process for quarantining once a COVID case is verified. More details will be sent soon
· CPS and CTU are discussing a joint vaccination program which will follow FDA guidance.
· Air quality and mechanical assessments will monitor schools.
· Air purifiers are available in classrooms and common areas where staff and students are present.
· Air quality monitoring devices will be provided by the district.
· Air Ventilation Quality http://cps.edu/airquality
South Loop School’s Protocols
We recognize some students who meet our medical fragility requirements may still need to learn remotely. These students can enroll in the Virtual Academy, a fully-remote model.
Please note, the application window for Virtual Academy closed on August 6, 2021. Applications received after this date will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for students who have delayed access to medical care, are new to the school district, or have a new medical diagnosis.
We encourage all eligible students to contact their healthcare provider and apply as soon as possible.
If you have any further questions about health guidelines for the new school year, please contact the Parent Support Center by visiting cps.edu/b2s.
· Collective responsibility between all stakeholders to keep our school open. I am asking our families to travel responsibly.
If you travel to a yellow or orange state – Any unvaccinated people (our students under the age of 12) traveling from these states and territories are advised to obtain a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Chicago or quarantine for a 10-day period upon arrival. Vaccinated individuals do not need to quarantine or receive a negative test.
Chicago Travel Advisory State by State List
This list is updated every other Tuesday based on that Monday’s data. It goes into effect the following Friday at 12:01 am.
Frequently Asked Questions
· Do not send students to school sick.
· Sick students will report to the care room. Updated care room guidelines will be provided at a later date.
· Wear a mask during social gatherings being held outside of your immediate family.
· Wear a mask during any indoor activity/event outside of your home.
· Report a possible COVID exposure or verified Covid case to the school immediately.
· Daily temperature checks
· Continue “No Talking” policy during lunch time. Primary Building students will watch a movie. Middle School students will listen to music. For preschool students, age appropriate information will be provided at a later date.
Parent Volunteers- Only parent volunteers leading team sports or student programs will be allowed inside the school. Parent volunteers must complete the health screener prior to entering the buildings. Health Screener https://cps.edu/healthscreener
More safety protocol and policy information will be provided the week of August 23rd.