Dear Lion Pride,
Welcome back to South Loop Elementary School for the start of the 2021-2022 school year! I hope you have all enjoyed an adventurous, wonderful, exciting, and safe summer break. It is my hope that each one of you put self-care as your priority this summer.
I learned so much last year about how resilient and inspired our staff, parents and students are, and I am incredibly proud of all that we have accomplished even amidst the many challenges we faced. We all did our part exemplifying our school motto” LION PRIDE!”
It’s for that reason that I spent this summer identifying various supports to help ensure a smooth transition back to what I hope will be a more traditional school year. Outlined below are some of the new and/or increased supports that will be in place this year, to help students excel academically and feel supported in their social emotional wellbeing.
- A new after care and recess partnership with Right at School. Right at School will offer a more strategic, targeted, and supportive approach to working with our students each day.
- We are working with our staff and parent volunteers to offer more sports teams and clubs during the ‘21-’22 school year.
- Providing two new intervention teachers for the K-3 grades who will provide targeted academic support to students to address pandemic learning loss.
- Reduced class sizes in 2nd grade by adding a fourth homeroom to provide targeted instructional support for academic success prior to entering 3rd grade.
- Offering after school ESL programming to address any academic gaps as a result of the pandemic learning loss.
- Providing a teacher assistant to support 1st grade instruction
- Providing a teacher assistant to support 4th grade instruction
- Increasing the number of ESL certified staff
- Mentoring programming for middle school boys led by Mr. Rhodes
- Amazon Future Engineering Program -for 5th – 8th graders
- Reviewing our grading practices to ensure a more equitable grading approach.
- Increasing the diversity in our teaching and support staff.
I look forward to welcoming our amazing students back in just a few weeks. Please be sure you are reading South Loop blasts and keeping an eye on public health guidance to stay abreast of state and city mandates surrounding Covid19 as they pertain to students returning to school. Enjoy your remaining few weeks of summer!
Stay safe and be well.
South Loop Strong- Lion Pride
Additional Beginning of the School Year Information
Parent 2021-2022 FAQ Handbook
Please read the following pages in the 2021-2022 Parent FAQ Handbook.
- Student supply drop off: pg.11
- Class List Availability: pg.11
- Class lists will be posted at each designated building. If your child is not listed in a classroom, please inform the school clerks by email email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Traffic Patterns: pgs. 9-10, 16-20, 55-56 and 67-70
- Arrival Procedures: pgs. 9-10, 16-20, 55-56 and 67-70
- Dismissal Procedures: pgs. 9-10, 16-20, 55-56 and 67-70
- Student Early Dismissal: pg. 56
- Student’s breakfast and lunch program. School policies related to lunch and snacks: pgs. 20-21
Check Aspen to ensure all of your child’s information is correct: parent name(s), correct spelling of all names, parent’s email address is listed, parent’s contact phone number(s) are listed, and emergency contact information is listed correctly.
CPS Welcome Packet
Please complete and return all forms in the CPS welcome packet. The packet will be sent home on September 7th. The lunch application and emergency forms are very important.
4th– 8th grade Band Students only
All band students must purchase and have the required band mask to participate in band by September 6th. Please purchase the mask designated for your child’s instrument.
Chromebook Contract for 6th -8th grade students only
Virtual Open House Dates and Times.
You will hear an overview of your child’s academic school year from the classroom teacher. Teachers will send a classroom google invite for families to join the meeting.
- Pre-school Families: Monday, September 20, 2021 – 6:15pm – 7:00pm
- Kdg-3rd Grade Families: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 – 6:15pm – 7:00pm. Primary Building
- 4th-8th Grade Families: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 – 6:15pm – 7:00pm. Middle School Building
- 7th-8th Grade Families: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 7:00pm – 7:30pm. Parents will hear an overview of the new process for selecting a high school and how to set up GoCPS from the school counselor, Mrs. Brewer. GoCPS – https://go.cps.edu. GoCPS allows families to learn, research, explore, and apply to nearly every CPS school and program through one online platform. Whether you are a current CPS family or new to the District, GoCPS is the gateway to finding the right school for you.
Parent Volunteers- UPDATE
Any parent and/or vendor leading a club, program or sports team must be vaccinated to sponsor any program offered inside of the school building in accordance with district policy.
Email Blast- Send to Parents. Staff should sign up also
To receive School-wide Notifications please click the link below:
CPS/South Loop’s COVID Safety Protocols coming soon