Good morning 8th grade Parents and Families,
I have included a link here Guide to Accept H.S. Offers that’s a Google slide presentation for step by step instructions on how to access and accept your child(ren) high school offer(s).
Key things to remember:
- You can make changes up until the DEADLINE of Apr 14, 2023 at 5pm.
- You must submit any and all changes you make and receive a confirmation prior to the deadline listed above.
- The Principal Discretion application is a separate application and the window opens Wednesday, March 29th and closes on above DEADLINE of April 14th. Here is the link to the Principal Discretion Handbook Handbook that gives detailed information on how to complete the application.
I can not stress enough that you must accept an offer by the DEADLINE of April 14th and receive a confirmation. Ms. Shelton, myself or the District CAN NOT obtain an offer once the DEADLINE has passed.
PLEASE NOTE: Principal Discretion is for the 11 selective enrollment schools ONLY. You can APPLY to ONLY one school of your original choices. (Example: If you originally applied to Jones, Lane and Whitney Young) you can do principal discretion for 1 of the 3.
As always please contact me with any questions at email@example.com or 773.534-4533
Elementary School Promotion Policy
CPS makes elementary school promotion decisions during the second week of June for students in grades 3, 6, and 8. Promotion status is based on student academic performance as reflected by the final reading and math report card grades.
Students who do not meet promotion criteria will be required to attend and satisfactorily complete Summer Bridge in order to be promoted to the next grade.
Students who will be 15 years old on or before September 1 of the following school year, and who do not meet eighth grade promotion criteria in June, will be required to attend Summer Acceleration. They will enter ninth grade in the fall.
All elementary school students must pass The Constitution of the United States of America and The Constitution of the State of Illinois exams to receive an eighth grade diploma.
For a detailed description of promotion criteria and applicable summer school requirement(s), please see the School/Parent Guide to the Elementary School Promotion Policy. Information regarding Students with Disabilities and English Learners (ELs) is provided on page 2 of the Guide.
School/Parent Guide to Elementary Promotion Policy
Help Your Student Meet Elementary School Promotion Criteria
- Monitor your student’s academic progress throughout the school year
- Review homework assignments
- Ask to see quizzes and tests
- Communicate with your student’s school counselor and teacher