To help our students, educators, and families prepare for the first day of school on September 8, Chicago Public Schools (CPS) launched a new website at cps.edu/reopening2020 to provide our school communities with the resources they need to start the school year off strong.
Resources available on this site include:
- An overview of the district’s plan for remote learning
- Details on how families can obtain computing devices and affordable or no-cost high-speed internet access at home
- Information on accessing a student’s cps.edu email address, which they will need to begin school on the first day
- Back-to-school packets for each grade level
CPS’ partnership with Google for Education has provided our educators with unique professional learning opportunities over the years, such as Googlepalooza, and we are excited to partner with Google to help our parents and families learn how to use Google Education Suite tools and support their children with at-home learning.
Beginning Thursday, September 3, 2020, the following Google trainings will be available on cps.edu/reopening2020:
- Google Basics for CPS Families: Parents can learn about the basic Google tools their child and teachers will use to learn at home, as well as tips on how to help their child use these tools.
- Google/Classroom Meet: This session will offer families an overview on how their child will access their school work, receive direct instruction, and join their classmates for real-time virtual classes from their teachers each day.
- Google on an iPad (PreK-2): This workshop will provide tips on how to access the Google Education Suite through an iPad for our youngest learners, including what applications families should download to the device before the first day of school.
- Google Accessibility: This workshop will help families explore accessibility options on Google to help their child access online learning according to their own unique learning style, needs, and ability.