Virtual Summer School | Exams | NO Summer Camp | Personal Items at School | Yearbook | Returned Fees | Returning Technology & Instruments | Graduation Information (8th Grade)
Please read through the following information. It will help to answer many questions you have had about the end of the school year and other logistics.
Virtual Summer School:
- For students in 1st-8th grade who end the fourth quarter with an incomplete in reading or math. The virtual program will run July 20th- August 14th, (Monday- Friday (8am -12pm)).
- For students in K-8th who have been found eligible for the ESY(Extended School Year) program as indicated in the IEP. The virtual program will run June 29th- August 6th, (Monday – Thursday (8am-12pm)).
- For sixth and seventh graders who will be 15 years old by Sept 1st and Eighth graders who earned an incomplete in reading and math. The virtual program will run July 20th – August15th, Monday – Friday (8am -12pm)).
- EL’s students in 1st-7th with a literacy proficiency level of 3>0 or below on the ACCESS or WIDA Screener and program year 0-2. The virtual program will run July 20th – August 14th (Monday – Friday( 8am- 12pm))
Statewide Exams and CPS Algebra Exit Exam:
All statewide exams are cancelled for 2019-2020 this includes CPS yearly Algebra Exit Exam. I need parents to be patient and understand the “old normal” will not occur this school year. When CPS make a determination for CPS issued exams and the 2020-2021 criteria for applying to high schools, I will provide the information to families. CPS High Schools will make arrangements to offer placement exams for graduating 8th graders. CPS is offering a Summer of Algebra program. More details will be sent at a later date.
South Loop will not offer Summer Camp this summer.
Retrieving items from Locker:
The three buildings underwent a deep sterilizing cleansing. We have less than 10 staff members in two buildings and one staff member in one building. I want to continue to limit the number of people entering the buildings at this time to keep us safe. My target date for retrieval is the first week of August. The items will remain in the lockers and desk until this time.
Yearbook distribution will begin in late June. Email blast will he sent when yearbooks are available for pick up. Order your yearbook by June 1st
Graduation luncheon fees and 6th grade camping trip refunds will be issued the first week of August
Returning Instruments and Technology: Guidance will be sent by June 15th.
School year 2020-2021: At this time CPS has not made a determination for opening school year 2020-2021. There are several options being researched: Full return to school, Full remote learning, and Staggered schedules are a few options. CPS will continue to monitor the recommendation of IDPH and CDC.
8th grade Families only:
- Band and Music students must participate in remote learning daily to practice and record for the virtual ceremony. Mr. Zettl and Mrs. Anders will communicate deadlines for recording.
- Virtual graduation will be held on Monday, June 15, 2020, at 9:00 am
- Graduation parade will be held at the Middle School building on Monday, June 15th at 12:00 pm. Guidelines will be sent by Monday, June 8th.
- Exit packets (information graduates need to register for high school), will be distributed on Monday, June 15th to graduates who have met the criteria for promotion.
- Graduates must return instruments, Chromebook, charger, and textbooks only.
- Locker items will be distributed in early August. All three buildings received a deep cleaning. Currently, there is a small number of staff working in each building daily to keep us all safe. I want to continue to maintain this level of traffic in and out of the buildings until we continue to see a decline of covid cases in the city.
Watch video Mr. Breusch sent to all 8th graders
Expectations for Cap and Gown Video recording:
- Must wear your cap and gown. Cap only can be decorated
- Backgrounds cannot display political views, offensive language/pictures, derogatory pictures/language or racial and gender bias
- Backgrounds can be decorated.
- Mute your recording. Record in a well lit area
- Follow guidelines for accepting and passing diploma (see video)
- Look at the Camera
- Email your recording to your homeroom teacher by Monday, June 1st.
Access our RESOURCE PAGE here or directly on the homepage beneath our photo banner.
*As always, for the most reliable information and updates, please visit CPS FAQ PAGE, www.chicago.gov/coronavirus or www.cdc.gov/coronavirus. For school-specific updates, visit www.cps.edu/coronavirus. If you need help locating medical care, please reach out to the CPS Office of Student Health & Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Healthy CPS Hotline 773-553-KIDS (5437).*