Welcome Back Lion Pride! We are excited to begin the 2019-20 school year! Here are some reminders to help us have a ROARING good first week back to school.
Read your Parent Handbook to learn more about our school policies
First Day of School is September 3, 2019.
- Middle School Building 4th-8th Grade 8:30-3:30pm – 1601 S Dearborn
- Students are tardy at 8:35 am
- Students can arrive as early as 7:45 am and must report to the lunchroom until 8:00am.
- 8:00am- 4th & 5th Grade report to the playground; 6th-8th grades report to rooftop playground. Students must use Stairwell A (main entrance stairway) to go up to 4th floor.
- Students will be dismissed from the playground to go to their lockers by 8:20 (using the C stairwell). 1st Period begins at 8:30
- Free Breakfast/Lunch is provided on the First Day of School and all school year.
- Look for Parent Volunteer and SL Staff signs to help guide you to your child’s classroom. If your child isn’t listed on a class list, the volunteers will direct you to the main office.
- Parents may walk their child to class on the first day only to deliver school supplies.
- Families can also visit the main office to submit updated medical, eye and dental records, pay school fee ($75.00 per student) with a money order or cash).
Youth Guidance After-school care will begin on the First Day of school.
- Please be aware of all zone parking restrictions.
- We want to be neighborly. Do not park in Mariano’s or Day Star School’s parking lots.
- The flow of traffic is extremely important to prevent traffic congestion. All students must be dropped off on Dearborn between 17th to16th. If you want to remain with your child, please park on State Street.
- Do not park on the East side of Dearborn or South side of 16th street at any time.
- We are sharing arrival and drop times with Day Star School. Please be courteous and follow our pattern.
- All South Loop parents/guardians must:
- Enter on 17th State Street or 17th Clark Street only.
- Make a right or left turn onto Dearborn Street.
- Head north. Look for Kiss N Go volunteers.
- Keep pulling forward. BE PATIENT. Do not hop around the car in front of you for any reason.
- Students must be ready to hop out. Kiss and say goodbye.
- Do not get out of your car. Do not wait until your child is inside of the building. Do not open your trunk to retrieve any items.
- Keep moving forward.
- Turn right onto 16th street
- Head west to State street.
- Do not turn left on 16th Dearborn street.
- Do turn left or right on 16th State Street.
- Extended Day families are expected to follow the flow of traffic at all times.
- Dismissal: See Parent Handbook
- Follow the same traffic pattern as drop off.
- All students will be dismissed onto Dearborn Street.
- 8th grade exits: Near 17th Dearborn
- 6th-7th grades will be on Dearborn by grade order
- 4th-5th will be near the main entrance.
- South Loop offers an after school program to support parent’s busy schedules by providing supervised engaging activities for our students. All students not enrolled in the Extended Day program are expected to be picked up by 3:45 pm.
- Students cannot remain in the playground without adult supervision after 3:45.
- 4th grade students remaining after 3:40 pm will be escorted to sit in the lunchroom. Please note this is only for occasional circumstances. Students not enrolled in after care cannot remain in the lunchroom or playground for pick up.
CELL PHONE POLICY: Due to the fact we address more cell phone infractions: students contacting students during school hours and parents contacting students during school hours. In a few weeks we will begin a new program. Each student will be provided a cell phone sleeve (5th-8th Grades Only). The first period teacher will lock the sleeve and the last period teacher will unlock the sleeve. The sleeve will remain with the students. Any staff can unlock the sleeves in case of an emergency.
Until the sleeves arrive, students must keep their cell phone either in their lockers or book bags. Cell phones cannot be in their pockets for any reason.
First three infractions will result in automatic detention , all other infractions will result in suspension.
School/Gym Uniform : See Parent Handbook
- Students are expected to wear their school uniform every day.
- Wednesdays, beginning on September 25th are our school-wide Anti – Bully Day. Students can wear a solid purple shirt (ONLY) and blue jeans(ONLY) or the school uniform on this day.
- 8th grade out of uniform fundraiser will begin on Friday, September 27th.
- Designated gym days will be sent home the first week of school. Students are required to wear the school’s gym uniform or a solid grey shirt and navy blue bottom and gym shoes only. No exceptions. Failure to follow this policy will result in exclusion from gym activities. An alternative gym option will be provided. Gym uniforms must be worn on gym days. Students cannot change clothes.
- Failure to follow the school and gym uniform policy will result in exclusion from extra- curricular activities, detention and/or suspension for repeated offenses.
We are a peanut and nut free school. If your child has any dietary needs please inform the classroom teacher and the main office on the first day of school.
If your child brings his/her own lunch please send only healthy options. Sweets and any form of Flaming Hot chips are not allowed to prevent sharing.
Microwaves are available for 5th-8th only.
5th-8th will not participate in the snack option this school year.
4th grade snack option:
Finger size Fresh fruit and vegetables are always encouraged.
- Pirate’s Booty-aged white cheddar, sour cream and onion, New York pizza
- Pringles Snack Pack-original, 100 calorie original
- Sun Chips-original, harvest cheddar, French onion, garden salsa, Jalapeno Jack
- Any single served baked chips
- Veggie chips
- Barnum’s Animal Crackers-original
- Cheez-It Crackers-original
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers
- Townhouse Crackers-original, wheat, flipside pretzel
- Triscuit Crackers-original, garden herb, rosemary and olive oil, roasted garlic
- Water-non-flavored, non-sweetened, and non-carbonated
- Fresh fruit/vegetables
- Individually packaged apple sauce-squeeze packet
- Individually packaged vegetable sticks
- Skinny Pop Popcorn
- Smart Food Popcorn-white cheddar, reduced fat
- Rold Gold Pretzels-this, sticks, rods, tiny twists
- Fruit Snacks
- Fruit Roll-ups
- Special K Bars
- Teddy Grahams
Teachers will send home a Syllabus on the first day of school with more classroom information and middle school expectations. Attached here are the Middle School Expectations. Attached here is the Parent Handbook
We look forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday!