One Summer Chicago- Opportunities for Youths Ages 14-24

Attention 8th Grade Parents:

One Summer Chicago is an initiative that provides youth with employment and enrichment opportunities during the summer months.  One Summer Chicago encourages all youth between ages 14-24 to including:

  • Undocumented students (also known as DREAMers).
    •  Students who have been approved for deferred action must have a Social Security Number to be eligible for City-funded employment positions.’
  • Students enrolled in district, charter, Options, or private schools
  • Students not currently enrolled in school
  • Youth under the age of 16 will need a work permit, please contact the career counselor at your school, or your Network Office for assistance. (Click the link and type your school to find your assigned network office)

What does the student need to have to apply to One Summer Chicago?

  • A working email address
  • The address of where they currently live in Chicago
  • CPS ID (if they are currently enrolled in CPS)

While students can complete the application without it, it is helpful if students also have:

  • Social Security number* or ITIN
  • Knowledge of whether they live in a Chicago Housing Authority (CHA)  building

*Students who are 16+ will need a Social Security card and state ID in order to work.Students ages  16-24 are employed in a  job that pays $15.80 an hour for 20 hours a week for 6 weeks. Students 14-15 are placed in project-based learning and skill building experiences that pay $75 a week stipend for 20 hours of participation in the program for 6 weeks. 

Student work will vary across many fields including:

  • Arts
  • Business
  • STEM
  • Camp counselor
  • Hospitality 
  • Park district (attendant, lifeguard)

Students will be able to select the fields they want to work in during the application process.

What do students need to do to request a work permit?

  • Obtaining a Work Permit involves several steps, including:
    • Complete a required written application
    • A parent / guardian must be present when the application is completed and filed
    • The student (minor / child) must be present when a Work Permit is issued. A parent / guardian MAY NOT obtain a Work Permit without the student (child) recipient present, as the application requires verified signature.
  • The following items are needed for verification before a Work Permit can be issued:
    • Letter of Intent to Hire
    • Verification of Age (e.g., birth certificate, baptismal certificate)
    • Social Security Card
    • Report of a Physical Examination from the past year
    • Written parent approval signed by the parent / guardian
    • Completion of a form by the child’s school principal verifying that the student is making satisfactory academic progress if the student is seeking part-time employment during the school year.

Click here to apply