Chicago Public Schools students began using Ventra™ as of the fall 2013 semester. Students who use CTA and/or Pace for transportation to and from school may purchase a new contactless hard plastic Ventra™ CPS Fare Card (replacing the beige or blue magnetic stipe CTA Student Riding Permit). The new Ventra™ CPS Fare Card will allow students to continue to receive the same discounted student fare they are currently eligible for with the CTA and Pace.
CPS school administrators will continue to sell and distribute student fare cards for our students’ convenience. The Ventra™ CPS Fare Card costs $3 and may only be purchased through your child’s school. Students may only purchase CPS Fare Cards from the CPS school where they are enrolled. All CPS high schools should have fare cards on hand. CPS elementary schools can order student fare cards per parents’ requests.
- Using cash, credit or debit cards at any Ventra ™ vending machine in CTA rail stations
- At participating Ventra™ retail locations throughout the city, using any type of funds accepted by the retailer
- (For a list of participating Ventra™ retail locations, please visit ventrachicago.com)
- Using a credit or debit card over the phone at 1.877.NOW.VENTRA (1.877.669.8368)
- Registered Cards may also be funded with an adult’s credit or debit card online at ventrachicago.com
Students presenting the Ventra™ CPS Fare Card will also be able to continue to pay cash on the bus.
Should you decide to register your Ventra™ CPS Fare Card with the CTA, any value stored on the card will be protected in the event the card is lost, stolen, or damaged. To register your card with the CTA, please visit ventrachicago.com or call 1.877.NOW.VENTRA
Please visit the CTA’s frequently asked questions site at www.ventrachicago.com/cpsfaq for more details on Ventra specific to CPS.